<data:blog.pageTitle/>

This Page

has moved to a new address:

http://mybigfatgrainfreelife.com

Sorry for the inconvenience…

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
My BIG FAT Grain Free Life: Time to come out of the closet...

Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Time to come out of the closet...

l started this blog to encourage other people struggling with bowel diseases (or those cooking for family members living this struggle), by adding some recipes to the grain free or SCD recipe pot. 

My intention was not to philosophize, vent, or brood about life (although I can occasionally heave a deep sigh over not having a flaky pastry in quite awhile).  I realize I can't change the world with a blog or be a voice that many will hear.  My intention has just been to offer recipes and share my love of food... while being myself.  (A little whacky but still a babe with great hair - JUST KIDDING.)

My readership has grown (thanks for reading, Mom) and I feel it's time to get a little personal.  Maybe my musing is due to a SHOCKING birthday which passed back in January (at which time we were also blessed with our third child).  I'm sleeping a little better now and my thoughts have caught up with me.

The sad truth is:  I'm old and am trying not to don't care what everyone thinks anymore.  Does anyone else out there get terrible back, leg and hip pain from all of the standing in the kitchen?  I mean, seriously, it's plagued me for years.  I've tried all kinds of different shoes, hoping more support would help, but it all ended with going to bed in throbbing pain and four ibuprofen...

About a year ago, I finally found a solution I could live with, though I wanted to keep it as hush-hush as possible.  Why?  Because I'm vain.  That's just the truth.  I don't want to admit I'm old, having aches and pains, AND I don't want to admit the solution.

That said, I'm coming out of the closet people.  Please don't judge me.

I.  WEAR.  BIRKENSTOCK. SANDALS.  Not the cute clogs that famous chefs wear, mind you. The sandals. Wow, getting that off my chest...hasn't helped me a bit. I'm still embarrassed.  

In fact, I refer to them as "my ugly shoes".  On occasion, I bellow from the kitchen, "Kids!  Will you please run and get my ugly shoes?".  They know just the contraptions I'm talking about, too.  

At first, I thought, "I'll wear them in secret. No one has to know about it."  But, then come friends popping by (I forget I have the shoes on) OR trips to the store where I've actually forgotten to change shoes, only to realize it after it's too late.  My husband got quite a chuckle watching a greeter at Wal-Mart do a double-take at my shoes as I walked by.  AT WAL-MART!?! - Where people shop in pajamas and slippers!?!

I will say this though:  back, hip and leg pain gone.  I'm not a spokesperson for Birkenstocks and get no kickback whatsoever for posting this.  But the shoes have helped me tremendously.  Can't someone get with the Birkenstock peeps and offer design suggestions like an espadrille heel with a little grosgrain ribbon or something?  After all of the "What Not to Wear" shows that have gone around, you'd think we'd have the technology to do that.

I'll end with saying I'm so thankful not to be in excruciating pain anymore.  But I still won't wear them in public if I can help it...
So I have fat Italian feet, what of it?






Labels:

6 Comments:

At August 1, 2012 at 3:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahah i love your writing style! you've got me cracking up!

 
At August 1, 2012 at 3:35 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks! It's not really a writing style, it's just my goofy self...

BTW - I'm making your pizza tonight for my daughter and me. Can't wait to try it!

Jen

 
At August 2, 2012 at 5:45 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jen,

This post had me cracking up. First, your feet are super cute - so there.

And I have honestly heard great things about Berkis. The ones you are wearing are super fun and stylish. I thought you were going to flash some old broken-down 60's shoes lady. You know being pain free is wonderful and worth it - wear these everywhere!! I would. And I think that Wal-Mart greeter was checking them "out" like, those are cool man.

Thanks for the chuckle today.

 
At August 2, 2012 at 8:23 PM , Blogger Jen said...

Thanks Amber! I still think they're ugly as s-i-n, but a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do...

Thanks for the encouragement!

Jen

 
At August 2, 2012 at 8:58 PM , Blogger Aprille said...

I think the shoes are cute with the flowers on them!!!!

 
At August 6, 2012 at 12:23 PM , Blogger Jen said...

This is Jen's son. Personally, I don't think they are so bad but she says they are.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home